Opportunity of a Lifetime: Have you chosen research and creative writing to be your life’s work? Do you pride yourself on the ability to take in lots of information and, like a human distillery, condense it into a few simple sentences brimming with crystal clarity? Are you excited about the possibility of getting to work with everyone from seed-funded technology companies to the highest echelon of global brands like GE, Tyson Foods, Panasonic, and more? Are you willing to relocate to Fayetteville, Arkansas for a fun job that challenges you but also provides work/life balance?
If that sounds like you, we want you here.
We’re Explainify – a fun, young video storytelling boutique – and we’re on the lookout for someone who is extremely passionate about research and believes that a good day happens when you learn something new – whether that’s the complexities of IT infrastructure, the basics of chemical engineering, or the ins-and-outs of a truly inspiring story for a world-class non-profit like charity: water.
You’ll translate complex subjects into vibrant copy that is easy to grasp and grabs audiences’ interest. You’ll marinate daily in emerging innovations, business strategy and marketing. Everyone around you will look better after you edit their writing for style, tone, voice and all-around excellence.
You must be able to take in lots of information (web research, PDFs, phone calls, white-papers, etc), think creatively, and then distill your findings into simple briefs and scripts for animated videos. The right candidate will have the ability to spin straw into gold through words, turning corporate gobbledygook into engaging, entertaining and accurate copy. Basically, we’re looking for a polymath – and if you know what that means, you’re on the right track 🙂 Also, you don’t have to know much about video, but it doesn’t hurt.
The quick and dirty:
It’s up to you to conduct the research necessary to understand each client project and prepare intelligent questions to discuss during kickoff. From there, it’s on you to write client scripts – or work with our team of writers to develop scripts – that contain clean, error-proof, accurate and engaging copy… All while accepting feedback with a smile.
You will be called upon to help with some of our own marketing and copywriting, but this position will be at least 70% client-focused work.
You MUST be adaptable and make decisions quickly in a high pressure, fast-paced environment and react to last-minute developments with grace.
You may be wondering what the job looks like… here you go:
We have an incredible team of animators, designers, marketers, and strategists who make beautiful videos and do amazing marketing. But a brand is only as good as the story it tells. As a writer, it’s your job to make stories come to life!
By researching and writing scripts for our clients’ videos, you’re laying the foundation for their project. Your script determines the visual style, the tone, the pacing… it has a huge impact on what our videos can be.
By writing internal copy (site copy, sales copy, blog posts, marketing emails and more) for Explainify, you continue to refine our brand voice. You have the opportunity to help us hook our audience and convince the right folks that we’ll be their perfect partner.
Non-negotiable attributes you must have:
- You must handle feedback and changes well
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and effectively juggle diverse writing demands
- Self-starting hustler
- A hard-working disposition
- Attention to detail and highly organized
- Life-giving, positive attitude
- Strong communication skills
- Be autonomous (we won’t be holding your hand) and collaborative (but we’ll give you high fives)
- Ability to make judgment calls as necessary, but also knowing when to consult colleagues and management
This position is 70% client-focused and 30% internal-focused.
- Conduct the research necessary to understand each client project and prepare intelligent questions to discuss during kickoff.
- Lead or co-lead kickoff calls that gets our clients excited and amazed with your ability.
- Generate original and innovative ideas and participate in brainstorm sessions to establish and develop messaging strategy for projects.
- Write bitchin’ client scripts that turn into great videos that aren’t just cute creatively, but solve real business problems.
- On projects where you don’t write the script — clearly distill your research into a writer’s brief and successfully manage our distributed team of writers.
- Maintains high standards of copywriting and exercises quality control on all copy.
- Accept feedback graciously, while using your expertise to (again, graciously) push back when quality is on the line.
- Collaborate with Art Director to brainstorm visuals to complement the script.
- Build and manage an External Writing Team in order to collaborate when needed.
- Understand our marketing strategy so that you can assist with content calendar, writing sticky marketing emails, ideation of topics, etc.
- Brainstorm, research, write, format and publish content regularly on Explainify and guest blogs.
- Review and clean up copy provided from external marketing assets.
- Discover new guest blog opportunities and secure a spot for us.
- Manage external writers as needed.
- Update site copy as needed.
- Assist in occasional small writing projects for CEO, Sales and Marketing.
- Possibly source and publish social media content based on a pre-determined calendar.
- You have the mind of a researcher. You find energy scouring the interwebs for information.
- You’ve got a never-ending desire to learn (Ms. Frizzle would be proud!)
- You can meet tight and frequent deadlines, while having the adaptability for changing priorities
- You’re committed to delivering incredible customer service.
- You know how to nurture relationships with clients – you know, “people skills.”
- You’re warm, friendly, and outgoing.
- You’re able and willing to organize and lead engaging client meetings – the kind you would want to be a part of.
- You can think on your feet to recommend and shape turnkey, creative solutions both in front of clients and day-to-day in the office.
- You’re cool with things changing just about constantly.
- You can manage your own schedule effectively, scheduling projects and shuffling work as necessary
- You’re a “team player” – sounds cliche, but you’ve got to know how to communicate with the rest of the team to make sure you’re working on the right stuff.
- You’re intrigued at the thought of doing market research, customer development, competitive & industry analysis as well as discovering messaging opportunities for a variety of different company verticals.
- Interest in business, branding, digital marketing is a plus.
- You’re not an agency hopper, but rather – looking to stick around awhile.
As a startup, we don’t currently offer the typical corporate stuff (like insurance) – but we do offer:
- Plenty of room to grow. We have big plans for incredible, healthy growth while maintaining a good work/life balance. You want to come with us?
- Competitive salary
- High degree of autonomy
- Flexible schedule
- Paid Time Off
- Family oriented company
- Laid back environment
- Weekly team lunches, yum!
- Company provided snacks
- Company outings
- Out of state annual planning retreat
- Time to serve our community
- Choose a charity to donate to
- Creative office space, next door to tea shop (discounted just for you)
Please note: this is not a remote position.
Please also note: We will be reviewing applicants over the holidays, so don’t wait!
To apply for this position you must use apply externally using this link, not the buttons on this page.
ExperienceNo experience required