Lauren James Co. is currently seeking a Designer for Women’s Apparel who will design an assortment of women’s apparel that strengthens Lauren James’ brand position in the market. The successful candidate will research market (domestic and international) to identify concepts and opportunities for product design, collaborate with marketing and management to develop dynamic product assortments and clearly communicate design direction in fit sessions. In addition, this role assumes primary responsibility for consistency of design across all product categories to ensure a more cohesive identity across the Lauren James brand.
Other responsibilities and duties are as follows:
• Creating product aesthetic inclusive of color, pattern and silhouette
• Partnering with Product Developers and Corporate Merchants in conducting market research to evaluate competitive set, identify seasonal trends, and decide on seasonal concept direction
• Collaborating with Product Development and brand matriarch to select fabric color and trims & relate them to the product design, function and silhouette
• Creating seasonal corporate color palettes and ensuring on-brand, commercial color direction and color compositions
• Creating and designing silhouette, silhouette direction and garment styling; collaborating with Corporate Merchants to recommend fit block to Technical Design
• Creating and deciding on brand appropriate/viable surface pattern and print direction
• Strategy (Product Aesthetic, Seasonal Concept Direction, Product Strategy)
• Builds and creates seasonal concept and mood boards to establish and identify key looks, trends, concepts, color, fabric, trim and silhouette direction.
• Offers on-brand commercially-viable product ideas.
• Creates seasonal trend direction, seasonal trend presentation, seasonal trend and vendor decks.
• Identifies and communicates seasonal color palettes.
• Supports creation of the product design strategy at a collection level, vs. an item level.
• Market Research Aesthetic Inspiration and Trend (Conduct Market Research, International Travel)
• Researches and develops brand appropriate trends and product ideas.
• Conduct research on market and competitive brands – domestic travel for inspiration and trade shows (NY Spin Expo/Premier Vision/Print Source/Surf/Magic).
• Travel domestically and to Asia and South America to meet with mills and vendors for research and product development and to ensure all product is commercialized to the very highest standards.
• Works with CM (Corporate Merchandise) Managers to ensure viability of products and product opportunity fills need within the assortment.
• Selects fabric direction for handfeel, drape aesthetic and partners closely with Product Developers to ensure vision of design, margin and target price is met.
• Meets with color and trend services to establish seasonal concept and trends.
• Meets with print and pattern vendors to establish seasonal surface pattern direction.
• Applies knowledge and expertise to ensure consistency and cohesiveness of line through perfect pairings and cohesive look of the collection and key looks.
• Introduces new and on brand silhouettes and styling details every season.
• Selects all materials and works with lab to ensure trim passes testing.
• Works with graphics department to instigate graphic and surface pattern direction.
• Present fresh and commercial color and pattern for key items and relist programs to ensure they look fresh and commercial each season.
• Communicates with mills and vendors to ensure fabric and all surface pattern is executed to the very highest standard.
• Send out color cards and approve lab dips, strike offs, etc.
• Develop print/pattern/graphics packages for product and hangtags/packaging.
• Present sketches and proto samples at appropriate check-ins and meetings.
• Create and update an accurate pre-production BOM and CC in BlueCherry.
• Pitches and calls out repeat with all requirements for patterns and prints.
• Partner with PD (Product Development) to finalize product details with vendors.
• In collaboration with PD, creates comprehensive development spec packages and selects Fit Block suitable for wearing occasion.
• Ensures robust hand off to Technical Design.
• Attends all fittings to provide relevant feedback regarding fit and styling.
• Ensure integrity of design aesthetic and conformance to selected fit block suitable for wearing occasion.
• BA/BS required
• Displays a true passion for design
• Able to relate to the Lauren James Co. product line, image, and lifestyle
• Able to give insights into continued design growth
• Works collaboratively to achieve results.
• Must be able to travel domestically and to Europe/Asia up to 5 weeks per year.
This position is classified as full-time salaried; it is exempt and is not eligible for overtime. This position is eligible for standard company fringe benefits.
• Given the seasonality of the business, this position may require flexible, additional working hours during peak periods. • This position is reviewed annually.
• Health Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Long Term Disability
• Paid Vacation
Fill out the application located at: https://www.laurenjames.com/pages/careers (If the position is no longer listed, it has been filled.)
Related Jobs (10)
on January 12, 2018 Temporary